Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Don't Skip Breakfast!

Photo: Maria Q
I almost never skip breakfast, even when I am in a hurry.

When I have skipped breakfast in the past, I am light-headed and have trouble concentrating. Eating breakfast usually means that a person will take in less calories over the course of the day. It's also been shown that people who regularly make a point to eat breakfast are about 30% less likely to be overweight. So now that it's been established that breakfast is an important meal, what should it consist of?


Try to eat breakfast at home. Eggs and veggies are a great combo and should keep you satisfied until lunch. Many mornings I opt for a large bowl of fruit. I like to include banana, pear, apple, strawberries and blueberries. I sprinkle crushed walnuts on top of this colorful bowl for an extra crunch that is filled with Omega 3's. This works great for me but I have some clients that prefer oatmeal or cereal. Choose cereals with a short, wholesome ingredient list (5 or less ingredients), low sugar and some fiber. Sprinkle blueberries and walnuts on top and you have a great meal.

photo: Maria Q

If you have must grab breakfast on the run, keep the following in mind. Fancy coffee drinks often have over 500 calories and are loaded with fat and sugar. Yogurt/granola combos often have 50-60g of sugar and 15g or more of fat! Donuts often contain over 20g of fat, 350 calories and 12g of sugar. A bagel and cream cheese breakfast can contain over 500 calories and provide enough carbs for more than half the day and over 15g of fat. What about muffins? Well, let's just say that muffins are basically cake in a cute round shape.

Eat breakfast! You will feel better and consume less throughout the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment